The International Division Bylaw (2015) Specifies the Division's mission as the following:
- advancing the understanding and practice of international planning within APA;
- creating a community of practitioners, academics, students, and citizen practitioners who are interested/working in some area of international planning;
- promoting a fuller understanding of how planning can/should impact global issues;
- providing a link between planners in the US and their counterparts abroad through special programs; and
- supporting/encouraging more members of APA to take a greater interest in how the practice of planning in the U.S. is part of a larger and more diverse international movement.